Saturday, February 14, 2009

A solution with lots of bottle

Back last August, when César and I were riding through Burgos and Soria, we were surprised at the amount of garbage you could still see on the road after the Vuelta a Burgos. Signs, flyers and even bottles littered the ditches, and while I'm not ashamed to admit that I scored a couple of very cool cycling bottles (thank you, Andalucía-Cajasur), what we saw probably didn't go a long way towards helping cycling's image as an environmentally-friendly sport.

So kudos to CamelBak, who have teamed up with the Coolest Damn Team in Cycling (i.e. Garmin-Slipstream, the Argyle Armada) to turn trash into treasures. Spectators who pick up Garmin bottles from the sides of the roads during the Amgen Tour of California can use the bottle as a kind of raffle ticket. Each bottle will have a code on it, and when you find a bottle, you simply enter the CamelBak website to see what you've won. And these are REALLY cool prizes we're talking about - a team-issue Felt bicycle, a set of Zipp wheels - I mean, really COOL swag.

Which makes me think I should write CamelBak and ask them why they don't extend the promotion to Spain, where Garmin will be racing in the Vuelta a Murcia in a couple of weeks' time. I mean, hell....I KNOW I am not the only one who recycles bike bottles recovered from the ditches.

For more information: http://thisjustin.bicycling.com/2009/02/the-roundup-t-1.html

No comments: