Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stormy weather

As I write this, it's lunchtime. The weather looks as if it's going to take a turn for the worst. Thunderheads started building in the Sierra as we came back in from Manzanares and by the time we hit Tres Cantos, there were definite anvil-heads hovering over the peaks of Yelmo and La Maliciosa.

"Hurry up," yelled Álvaro. "Close the gap. Don't let them get away from you." And I thought, Why not? It's going to be inevitable anyway. I will push and push and I will still end up alone. But I didn't. I closed the gap. For ten klicks, I stayed with Álvaro and Alfonso and Ángel and Julio and A#2, who made a point of not talking to me all day. (It took me about five seconds to catch onto this; I made sure that it was mutual.)

And now I'm home, I've eaten lunch (ramen noodles and cherry tomatoes and a Diet Pepsi - whoo-freaking-hoo) and I'm watching the re-broadcast of the climb up Mont Ventoux from this year's Tour. I should get the laundry off the line; the weather has been threatening to explode for the last fifteen hours, but nothing's happening yet. Lemme see the lightning and the thunder first. Then I'll start to worry.

ºººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº

7:37 AM: Staring at the computer screen, re-reading Yago's instructions. Basically, climb if you've got the legs; if not, do whatever you want. Like SuperLopez would say, es lo que mi cuerpo me pide. It's what my body wants. I don't know what my body wants.

My brain, on the other hand, would prefer not to go alone today: my brain would like a little bit of company rather than beat the hell out of myself by myself without any kind of backup. I'm getting TIRED of being alone, damn it. I eat alone, I sleep alone, I mostly work alone, I clean the house alone, I earn something resembling a wage alone, I almost always train alone, I go to the cinema alone, and since practically everyone's on holidays until the first week of September, I'm pretty much in Madrid alone. I would really prefer to have one day where I have company.

Which means, naturally, that with the reduced number of chamartinistas who will show up today we're only going to have two groups: Go like Hell and Take it Easy. I'd prefer not to take it easy, but if I'm to have company and not go by myself, then I don't have much of a choice.

The streets of Madrid are pretty much deserted at 8AM. There isn't even the usual assortment of teenagers and drunks and drunk teenagers spilling out of the bars, their hands full of toast and beers. Seventeen minutes up. I get there thirteen minutes before we're due to take off. Félix, Zurdo, Alfredo and Alberto are there. I get a cursory hello. (Has a certain someone read this blog? Did he misunderstand what I wrote? Or is he just hung over and in a bad mood? Who the hell cares?) I go to the bathroom. One quick pee (making sure to leave the seat down - I wonder if the guys ever wonder to themselves why the seat's never up after I leave), wash my hands, go outside. Stretch. Tomás shows up, as does Pepe el Presidente and a handful of other people.

I don't try to make conversation. Félix does, asking me how the preparations are going for the Delgado. I'm friendly, open. I just don't feel like being the stupid bouncy happy guiri today. Unlike most of these guys - especially those who were invited to come along on Thursday and didn't even have the manners to respond - I've already put 300 km into my legs this week. I've stopped counting how many times my gams have come back from the dead since the beginning of June. I'm worn out, emotionally and physically. I'm tired, lonely and working very hard trying not to let resentment and fear and anger choke me in the process, just praying that I make it past next Sunday without imploding.

We take off at 8:30. The ride up to Fuencarral is uneventful. The ride down and through Tres Olivos is incident-free. Not long after we hit the bike lane on the M607, a couple of the strongest riders take off. The attacks have begun. Let 'em go. There's precious little sense, on a day like today, trying to keep up with them when all it's going to do is make me even more tired and even more resentful.

Our little pelotón gets whittled down to seven of the most pleasant people in the group, including Tomás with his repertoire of corny jokes about the Guardia Civil. We're supposed to ride up to Mataelpino (which one of the other English speakers refers to as Kill the Pine Tree) and El Boalo but we cut off early and head directly to Manzanares.

Uneventful coffee in Manzanares. The groups divides itself among three different restaurants - quite a change from the last time we were all up here, when forty of us took over one of the terrazas and ran them out of tortilla and Aquarius. No one's really talking. A couple of people make the effort to be sociable, but then it occurs to me that maybe we're just all starting to get a little sick of each other.

I was supposed to treat Tomás to coffee, but he pays, saying that he needs to break a fifty-Euro bill. No one's making much of a move to get back. Finally, a couple of restless souls start picking up their bikes and start shuffling off towards the highway.

In a way, I don't want to go back with the main bunch; I'd just as soon hang back and go back on my own, wait to let the others catch up to me, but Álvaro's having none of it. Charles says that Álvaro rides with some pretty big names, plus he and I basically do the same job, and he's a helpful and friendly guy, so I'm more likely to pay attention to what he says than I am to others in the group. I don't ever really get up and inside the grupetta, but I do hang on enough to the back that by the time we turn onto the M609, I'm going fairly well.

And that's when the hammer gets dropped. Between the turnoff to Manzanares and Colmenar, there's nothing but bike lane, and the leaders start going like hell. Álvaro points at the leaders and shakes his finger disapprovingly at the same time: "You be careful with these guys on the way back. They can ride really aggressively on the way home." He gets no arguments out of me: I've seen how those guys are capable of plowing down unsuspecting cyclists.

But at the same time, it pisses me off to no end that I'm still not capable of hanging on with them. I know that it may be a lot to ask - there are some guys who have been riding for a number of years - but I also know that that group contains riders who have only been on their bikes for three or four years, tops. I train, I lost weight, and I'm still too damn slow to pose any kind of serious threat. Yet.

It pisses me off for about twenty kilometres. And for the final thirteen kilometres, I make up my mind: Any time I have any doubts about the need to get faster, I will remember this day and remind myself of how badly I would like not only to keep up with these guys, but unashamedly rip their goddamn legs off. I would like to have one day where I stick it to those mothers so hard that their knees squeak and their tongues scrape the ground. I'm not saying that it would always happen, but at least it'd make a nice change.

ººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº

The storm still has yet to hit. The guys at the Café Moderno haven't even opened the joint yet, and the Mexican restaurant only has one line of tables out. The square is quiet, for once. I bet it's raining like hell in the Sierra. Good. Let it happen now and get it out of its system, so that next weekend I can do the Pedro Delgado, get it the hell over with, and get my life back in order.

Things probably will not change. I'll probably still get ignored by certain people in the Chamartín I thought I was more friendly with; my English-speaking non-cycling friends who live here in Madrid -- how do I say this? -- will go on with their lives and the fact that I'm about to do one of the toughest rides on the peninsula, a ride that scares the hell out of me, will pass unnoticed and unmentioned, and when they all come back from their holidays, I'll probably still be dealing with exhaustion and being broke and alone. But I asked for it. In the meantime, the priority this week is keeping my shit together. I can't afford to let things fall apart now.

No comments: