Friday, March 30, 2007

TRANS-ANDALUZ DAY TWO: Enjoy the Silence


Recover the human geography, I told myself before I started the trip. Yes, bad memories can be just as valid as good memories because they're all part of what makes you human. So every so often, I'll see something and think of something, and think, "Oh! This is the point where we...had lunch...saw the bunny with the red eyes.... took the photos of the sierra... slept in the olive grove..." and then think, okay, that was then. (But was that really a year ago? Has twelve months passed since that happened?)

I made a point of leaving early in the morning. I wanted to get an early start so that I wouldn't have to kill myself to get to Zuheros before dusk, and I was glad that I did; partway through the day, a ring appeared around the sun...that classic sign that rain is on its way. And I just biked and listened to nothing.

Well, not NOTHING, really - the crunch of tires biting into the gravel surface; the slight breeze combing the countless olive trees that followed the route; the sound of the grackles fighting off the crows and hawks. After all the noise of the city, the apartment, after being surrounded and swallowed by noise for the previous two weeks, it was like someone smashing a helmet off my head. Just the sound of... nothing.

No comments: